Clarins Chamomile Toning Lotion: Refreshes, Soothes and Softens



As I've said on a previous blog post, I'm not one to use toners in my regular skincare routine. Due to my unsatisfied experience with a toner I purchased years back, I decided my skin's doing well without it, and I could just leave this one out. This past weekend, I was trying to clear out my makeup pouch and saw a never-before used Clarins Toning Lotion sample. I must have just set it aside way back because I was uninterested.  I somehow got curious and wanted to see if I could give toners another chance this time around. I just needed to look for a good enough reason to use it since I no longer wear makeup on a regular basis.



But really, what do toners do? Toners are part of the cleansing process that remove all stuff left behind on your skin after cleansing, such as makeup, excess oils, impurities, dead skin cells, and even residue left from your cleanser. All these can clog your pores, giving rise to acne and other breakouts.  Toners also help maintain the skin’s pH balance. The skin is typically acidic, and when this gets compromised, the skin is more vulnerable to bacteria and infection. Toners also shrink pores, preventing any skin irritations or infections due to less amount of impurities clogging them. They can be applied day and night, after cleansing and drying, by placing a small amount on the cotton ball and applying on your face and neck. It’s a good cleansing step by removing excess impurities and prepping your skin for the next steps in your skincare routine such as serums and moisturizers. But if you have dry skin or don’t use makeup daily like me, you can just use it at night to remove all impurities and thereby protecting your skin while you sleep. 

After attending my friend’s wedding and having makeup on for almost 12 hours, I figured it was a good opportunity to test the toner. After removing my makeup and cleansing, I poured just a tiny amount on a cotton ball so that it wouldn't be such a waste if I found it unappealing. I was expecting it to have a strong, astringent-y scent, but it didn't. The scent was mild, characteristic of Chamomile, so I wasn’t put off by it. When I applied it on my face, I expected a tingling feeling or some slight stinging, even though I knew it was non-alcoholic. I was amazed because there were absolutely no uncomfortable sensations on my face. One thing I noticed was that the cotton ball glided smoothly. There was really no trouble with the application. It was as if I was just applying makeup remover the second time around. Since it came in lotion form, it left a thin ‘oily’ layer on my skin, which dried up in minutes. This, I think, was the reason for why my skin felt soft and supple afterwards. In fact, my skin even felt moisturized. When I checked the used cotton ball, it did remove some more make up and other dirt and grime on my face that were not removed by the cleanser.

Clarins Toning Lotion contains Camomile and Linden extracts that refreshes, soothes and softens the skin. It also has Bio-ecolia which preserves the skin's natural balance, Alpine Herbs to soften, and vitamins B and E to help improve skin quality. It is good for dry and normal skin types. Lotion-type toners, like the Clarins Toning Lotion, do not contain alcohol and work to hydrate the skin. It is a more gentle cleanser good for sensitive skin. 

I was really happy with my experience with this toner. It was mild and gentle. Now my skin is more refreshed and can ‘breathe’ a whole lot better. I am now convinced that toners really do deserve a place in my skincare routine. 

Do you use toners in your regular skincare routine? What type of toner do you use: astringent, lotion or tonic? What are some of your favorite toners? Comment them below. 


Sources:



Comments

Popular Posts