Bentonite Clay Face Mask: Smoother, Healthier Skin in ONE Use


Skin care is definitely one of the things I am fond off. I go for facial cleansers and scrubs, serums, moisturizers, sunscreens, white- and blackheads remover, lotions (on my body), after-sun treatments. Anything that’s practically related to skin care gets my attention. I spend some really long time in the cosmetics and skin care sections in supermarkets and department stores checking every ingredient, comparing this product to this making sure I pick the best ones for me. I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking of the next trip to the skin care section (LOL). The only products I’m not really fond off  are the toners and the masks. Toners - I’ve tried them before, and they were too strong for me, so I decided I can forgo with it. Masks, well, I just didn’t believe in them. I didn’t think they were of importance to even consider adding them to my regimen. I just thought they were too time-consuming and useless. 

Then, my good friend, Leslie Angbue-Te, found an interest in organic skin care and now has a number of handmade organic skin care products that she sells, from soaps to pomades to masks. She introduced bentonite clay mask to me and my sister. I was familiar with it since we touched on this in college, but at that time, I wasn’t really interested. My sister, though, tried it out, and she was happy with the results. I still wasn’t convinced. The only thing that convinced me was when I actually felt the smoothness of Leslie and my sister’s faces. I mean, really, it was a different kind of smoothness. With that, I was sold. 

Just a short background on bentonite clayBentonite is an absorbent clay consisting mostly of montmorillonite. It was named by Wilbur C. Knight in 1898 after the Cretaceous Benton Shale near Rock River, Wyoming.1 The clay is made from volcanic ash deposits that have settled on the earth. The ash has settled over the course of hundreds to thousands of years, which allows a variety of the earth's nutrients to be absorbed.2 Bentonite clay is a unique clay due to its ability to produce an “electrical charge” when hydrated. Upon contact with fluid, its electrical components change, giving it the ability to absorb toxins. Bentonite is known for its ability to absorb and remove toxins, heavy metals, impurities, and chemicals.3 Some reported benefits3 of bentonite clay are: 
  • Digestive disturbances like acid reflux, constipation, bloating, gas, etc.
  • Helping with skin and allergy issues (e.g. rashes, psoriasis, eczema)
  • To help provide minerals for the body
  • To help speed recovery from vomiting and diarrhea
  • Detoxification
  • In oral health preparations
  • Externally for all types of skin problems and to speed healing (e.g. wounds, cuts, insect bites, burns, itching, stings, blemishes, wrinkles)
  • Acne control treatment2

Since I was excited to try it out the first time, I didn’t take notice of the prep time. It was fairly simple and easy. Come to think of it, it probably took me less than five minutes to prepare. No mess, no elaborate materials needed, no additional ingredients or steps required, no fuss. What’s also great about bentonite clay is that it’s odorless, so you won’t have to worry about strong scents or having allergic reactions to those added ingredients that make the products more appealing. Bentonite clay comes in powder form with an earthy (gray) appearance/color. Mix it with the right amount of water to create a mud- or paste-like texture and apply on face. Just make sure it is a homogeneous mixture and no clumps of powder are left. Face application is no tremendous feat, as well. Since it has a thick texture, it was easy to apply and spread. I just used my fingers! I made sure I spread it evenly on my face: the forehead, cheeks, mouth and chin areas, and nose. I then let it set for 10 minutes, until the clay mixture dried and returned to its powder-like color. At first, there was no significant effect, but little by little, as the minutes passed and the clay mixture slowly hardened, I felt some sort of tightening on my face. It was as if the clay mask was getting smaller and smaller. It was even awkward to move my mouth or talk! Aside from the removal of toxins, I guess this is also one of the benefits of the bentonite clay mask. It’s sure to keep the skin young and healthy. Washing off was fairly quick and easy, as well. I just applied water to remove the clay, which easily mixes with water. 



I didn’t have to wait for multiple sessions to reap the benefits of the bentonite clay mask. I immediately felt my skin, and my goodness, it was indeed silky smooth! Truth be told, I couldn’t get my hands off my face (LOL)! I was just so amazed. My skin felt detoxified, and I felt fresh. And due to the tightening effect, I think it minimized my pores, too, which is an added bonus! Of course, part of my regimen are the serum and moisturizer, so I applied those afterwards. The bentonite clay, indeed, helped, and now my skin feels smoother and healthier. I’ll definitely make sure I tick this off my weekly skin care regimen. 


No filter! The rosy cheeks and smooth skin were all possible thanks to the Bentonite Clay Mask.


Just some helpful tips (some of which I got from Leslie and my sis):
  • Make sure you wash your face with a cleanser before applying the clay.
  • You usually mix equal parts of the clay and water (e.g. one tsp bentonite clay + one tsp water). If not, mix the right amount to achieve that mud-like texture. 
  • You can use apple cider vinegar instead of water,  but it has a more “stinging” effect.
  • Use once or twice weekly.
  • You can wash it off with water, or use a damp cloth to remove the mask. Don’t worry, it is non-staining. 
  • Don’t let the clay come in contact with metals as this will reduce its effectiveness.3
  • Always check with your doctor first before using bentonite clay for internal use. 

What’s great about this is when you purchase a bottle, it’s good for weeks or months’ worth of usage, depending on the frequency of your usage. The product is also packaged in a cute fashion and comes with instructions so you won’t forget. 😉

Go ahead! Order now. Try it out yourself and get healthy and smooth skin just like myself. 🙂

Leslie Angbue-Te 
leslieangbuete@gmail.com


Have you tried bentonite clay mask before? Or are you using it as part of your skin care regimen? Share with us your experience in the comments section below. 


Sources: 

Comments

Popular Posts