How To Be A Good Wife

Synopsis from Goodreads:
"I know what my husband would say: that I have too much time on my hands; that I need to keep myself busy. That I need to take my medication. Empty nest syndrome, he tells his friends at the pub, his mother. He's always said I have a vivid imagination. 

Marta and Hector have been married for a long time – so long that she finds it difficult to remember her life before him. He has always taken care of her, and she has always done everything she can to be a good wife. But when Hector comes home with a secret, their ordered domestic life begins to unravel, and Marta begins to see things, or perhaps to remember them. In the shadows there is a blonde girl that only Marta can see. And she wants something..."

The story touches on the lives of so many people, whether single or married, widowed or divorced. It shows us the battles that we try to fight, making people believe us but meeting challenges as well. The most difficult part is to be your only ally, trapped in your own thoughts, and trying to prove to others even if they believe otherwise. 

The book tugged at my thoughts and emotions as I read along. With vivid details trying to engage your senses, it would be impossible not to be involved in the story. I found myself so much affected with the emotions of Marta that I wanted to be there to fight with her, too. The author lets the readers be engaged in a way that you would want to be the hero in the story. 

How to be a Good Wife also shows the challenges that wives face. From the traditional way that women was taught how to be a good wife, the book showed us some theories of how women should behave as wives, in order to satisfy their husbands, to the point of being submissive, without the right to be a person and to be happy and to be heard. It shows us that this thinking still exists, and are still forced into women, even if our current times require us to be different, to change, to be equals, to be free. 

Comments

Popular Posts